Total RSR supply¶
RSR has a fixed total supply of 100 billion tokens, out of which there are currently 13.2b in circulation. The remaining 86.8b of the tokens are locked. Out of these, 49.4b tokens belong to the Slow Wallet, 17.4b to seed investors and strategic partners and 20b to team members and advisors.
The Slow Wallet is a locked wallet controlled by the Reserve project and will be used to fund RToken adoption initiatives like listings, partnerships, marketing, etc. It has a hard-coded 4-week delay after initiating each withdrawal transaction order on the blockchain. Upon initiating a withdrawal transaction, the team announces the purpose of the withdrawal either through a public on-chain message or on social media. If RSR holders do not agree with the purpose of the withdrawal, they are able to sell their RSR in the 4-week period before the project is able to sell what they have withdrawn. The team can only access these withdrawn tokens after those 4 weeks.
The remaining 37.4b tokens are locked and most of these will be progressively unlocked starting from mainnet launch. This category consists of 20b tokens for team members/advisors, 17.4b tokens for seed investors and strategic partners.
Please note that due to long internal vesting policies for team members, the total amount of team member tokens that are going to actually be unlocked during the 6-month mainnet unlocking period will be around 15.5b and not 20b. This is an approximate number and is likely to end up being a bit less.
Mainnet RSR supply release schedule¶
Starting on mainnet launch, 31.2b tokens from team members/advisors, seed investors and strategic partners will be unlocked.
As announced in our 2021 year-end update, all locked RSR holders have recently received two options for unlocking their RSR. Initially there was only one option, but after the Reserve community expressed concerns about the particular unlocking schedule, we started thinking about ways for how we could improve it - which led to the new option.
Since the original schedule was contractually agreed on, we couldn't simply change it. Instead, we designed a new unlocking option and gave each locked RSR holder the choice between that new option or the original unlocking schedule.
There’s a lot of relevant background info that we’d love for you to know about, so we recommend watching the video below where Reserve CEO Nevin Freeman goes into all the details:
The summary below shows the details of each unlocking schedule, as well as an estimation of what % of locked RSR holders chose each option.
This is the new option that was recently proposed to all locked RSR holders. Here is a short summary of what this new option entails (please see the video above for all the details):
- Instead of RSR tokens unlocking upon mainnet launch, tokens will begin unlocking linearly in January over the course of 6 months.
- But... these tokens won’t really be unlocked, since they will still be in Reserve’s custody.
- If RSR holders wish to sell any of their RSR tokens, they can submit their request, and can only sell tokens through one connected OTC desk.
- This OTC desk will match sell orders with OTC buys and will limit selling on exchanges to about 3% of the real daily trading volume, in order limit impact on the price of RSR.
- After six months, the RSR holders who choose to go for this option will then directly receive all tokens they did not decide to sell.
Here's a breakdown of the amount of RSR held by locked RSR holders that have chosen to unlock their tokens via option 1:
- Reserve team members: 12.6b RSR (99.7% of this group)
- Advisors, Contractors and Partners: 5.0b RSR (94.4% of this group)
- Investors: 10.3b RSR (77.7% of this group)
This is the original unlocking schedule. Here is a summary of what this unlocking option entails:
- On the day mainnet launches, 10% of the holder's locked tokens will be unlocked at once.
- After that, the remaining 90% will be distributed linearly over the following six months.
Here's a breakdown of the amount of RSR held by locked RSR holders that have chosen to unlock their tokens via option 2:
- Reserve team members: 34.6m RSR (0.3% of this group)
- Advisors, Contractors and Partners: 299.4m RSR (5.6% of this group)
- Investors: 2.9b RSR (22.3% of this group)
Here's a breakdown of how much RSR held by locked RSR holders will be unlocked for each option:
- Option 1: 28.0b RSR (89.5%)
- Option 2: 3.2b RSR (10.5%)
The following chart displays an estimated timeline of when RSR will be unlocked via option 1 ("restricted unlocking") and option 2 ("unrestricted unlocking"):
Please do keep in mind that we are still waiting for some locked RSR holders to make their decision and that the numbers mentioned above could still slightly shift, although the general trend will remain the same.